Sometimes trying to keep our kids entertained can be challenging, especially if you a work-at-home mom. There is no reason to feel guilty about wanting your kids to entertain themselves, in fact, it’s good for them. Finding some fun ways to keep kids entertained is good for everyone.
This post contains affiliate links, see my disclosure policy for more information.
5 Fun Ways to Keep Kids Entertained
I’m lucky that my kids love to spend time outside, I mean hours and hours, and the weather doesn’t matter, they’re outside. But it’s because we have a variety of outside toys and things to spark their imagination and keep them going.
Great ideas to have in the backyard are:
- balls of all kinds – bouncy, soccer, baseball, etc
- jump ropes
- bikes, scooters
- shovels, and so much more
Creativity with Crafts
Having a variety of materials on hand that you don’t have pin-pointed for a planned activity, otherwise, you’ll be stressed and possibly cranky if they use those materials. Try keeping planned activity materials separate so you can let your kids have free range with the craft materials.
Great craft materials to have are:
- paper – different types – tissue, construction, plain, cardstock
- glue – glue sticks, white glue, maybe some glitter glue
- glitter if you are brave enough
- scissors – plan, some funky edged scissors
- colored pencils, crayons, markers
- pencils and pens
Unstructured time with building toys is a surefire way to inspire imaginative play and keep kids entertained for hours and hours. You just might be surprised at how their minds work when given the right materials.
Great building materials to have on hand are:
- Lego – not just sets but Lego classics that encourage them to build their own things
- wood blocks
- magnetic blocks
We have a closet full of board games. Different types and for different ages. As well as for a different number of players from 1 player and up.
Board game ideas:
STEAM – Fun, Sneaking Learning
Have fun with STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math). Innovative educational toys help kids to develop a wide range of skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity through hands-on exploration, and keep your kids entertained for long periods of time.
STEAM Activities and Books to have on hand:
- 100 Easy STEAM Activities: Awesome Hands-On Projects for Aspiring Artists and Engineers
- DIY Kaleidoscope Kit
- Weather Station Set