There are nights that I just don’t want to cook for my family. I still love them and food, but I just don’t have it in me to cook supper. We have all felt this way I know. And I know this because we’re all looking up quick and easy recipes on Pinterest, or we’re heading out the door to grab fast food. It’s all part of this thing called motherhood. Normally for me this where my simple chicken and veggies meal comes in handy, or where Hubby comes in handy and makes something like this: Cheeseburger Casserole.
[bctt tweet=”This Cheeseburger Casserole with make everyone in your family happy at supper time!”]
*This post contains affiliate links see my disclosure policy for more information.*
The great thing about this meal? You can load it full of vegetables for your kids to eat. For you to eat. For everyone to eat without anyone really being any the wiser about how “healthy” it can be.
Add in some of the usually cheeseburger toppings: ketchup, mustard, if you like relish as well, just wait on adding that until you read on.
Add in your diced tomatoes.
Add in cooked pasta. Dump it into your casserole dish, top with cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle diced pickle over the top and serve. While it may not be a one dish meal, it is still great.
- 2 cups 6 ounces uncooked rotini pasta (spiral pasta)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4-5 large Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot according to packaged directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saute until onions are transparent. Add the garlic and stir about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir in the ground beef and fully cook through until brown. If using 95% lean ground beef, there is no need to drain. But if you are using a less fat version, drain the fat and return to the stove.
- Stir in the seasoned salt, ketchup and mustard until well combined. Add the chopped tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 2 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Add the cooked and drained noodles to the meat and stir well. Pour into the prepared baking pan and evenly sprinkle the cheese across the top. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and slightly cool before serving. Top with chopped dill pickle.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g